St. John’s UCC is closed through February 17, 2021 in order to promote social distancing due to the recent rise in COVID-19 cases. Please visit the online services tab for our weekly service.
In Person Worship Guidelines
Now that the doors have been opened for in-person worship, the main goal is to do so in the safest way possible for you, your family and other worshippers. We have made many changes based on guidelines from the CDC, state of Kentucky and local health department that have been recommended for the reopening of houses of worship. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated as we all deal with this new normal.
- Everyone will be asked to wear a mask, preferably cloth, the entire time in the church building.
- There will only be 2 doors open for entrances and exits-the main door and the door leading into the parking lot under the canopy.
- Everyone’s temperature will be taken before entering at each door with a non-contact thermometer which takes just 1 second to record. Anyone with a temperature above 100.5 F, or who has signs of illness (coughing, shortness of breath, sneezing), or who have had close contact with a person who has symptoms like dry cough, chest tightness, and/or fever will be asked not to enter.
- There should be no handshaking, hugging, or passing of the peace.
- On communion Sundays, you will be handed a pre-packaged communion pack. It will contain a wafer and a cup of juice. When you exit the sanctuary, please place the empty package in the trash can by the door.
- You will be handed a bulletin as you enter the building. Please take it home with you or put it in a trash can at the door as you exit.
- Family units (everyone living in your house) should be seated together. Individuals should sit alone. Maintain a 6-foot distance in the pews.
- Children should remain with parents at all times. Nursery and Sunday School will not be available.
- Every other pew will be vacant to maintain a 6-foot distance.
- Try to stagger seating so you are not directly in front of or behind anyone.
- The offering plates will be at each door so you may deposit your offering in them as you leave or when you enter.
- No one should wander around the building but stay in the main areas.
- There will not be any coffee or food available, but you are welcome to bring your own drink if you take it home with you or place it in the trash as you exit.
- The only bathrooms in use will be on the main floor by the Nelson Place door. It is recommended only one person be in the bathroom at a time, unless you have a child or adult who needs assistance. There will be disinfectant spray or wipes in the bathrooms you may use to wipe door handles, sinks, toilets, etc.
- Donnie, our custodian, will clean and disinfect the sanctuary and other areas around the building after each service with the appropriate cleaning supplies.
- If you congregate to talk with friends, it would be better to do that outside while you maintain a 6-foot distance with your mask on.
- Maintain a 6-foot distance at all times while in the building.
We understand this is a lot, but hopefully these will be temporary measures. If you have any questions, please ask an usher.
Thank you in advance for doing your part in trying to keep everyone safe and healthy.
How to View This Week’s Online Church Service
Can’t come to church? St. John’s Newport will have their own YouTube channel where you can view the online worship service each week. You will also have the option of viewing the service on our Facebook page or church website and you will still be able to use the call in feature (audio only through your telephone).
Below are the various ways that you can continue to stay connected to our worship life together. You will still be able to access the bulletin and order of worship for Sunday through the weekly email or on our church website (www.stjohnsuccnewport.org). You will be able to access the worship services in several different ways:
Call in (audio only)
This method ONLY works starting at 10:30am on Sundays. To access this each Sunday, you can do the following:
– At 10:30am on Sundays, call either 929-205-6099 or 312-626-6799 (either number will work).
– You will then be (quickly and repeatedly) prompted to enter a meeting ID –
that ID is 997-401- 6614.
– You will then be asked a participant ID. There is no need to enter a number. Simply hit # on your phone and you will be connected to the audio of the service.
– That is it. You will be connected.
You can access the video of the worship service starting at 10:30am ET each Sunday and it will be available any time after that as well. There are multiple ways to access the video of the worship service.
St. John’s UCC website
On the front page of the website will be a permanent link to the worship service. This will take you to a page where the video will be shown.
St. John’s UCC Facebook page
You do not need to have a Facebook account to access this page (but Facebook will nag you about making an account, nothing we can do about that). The service will be posted here. If you have a Facebook account, you will be able to post comments, questions, thoughts about what you experience and how the Spirit speaks to you.
St. John’s YouTube Channel
This link will take you to the St. John’s YouTube channel and the most recent worship service as well as other videos we are working on. If you have a “Smart TV” or something like a Roku, AppleTV, or other device you can also access this through your TV.